Re: File watch support in autorevert.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: File watch support in autorevert.el
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:31:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> You cannot expect that, not in general, because there's no such
> promise in the docs of these interfaces.  That's why the interface
> returns to you the full information about the transaction.  I don't
> think it's wise to ignore that information.

At least for now, inotify.el returns nil as file name in the event ...

Well, reading the INOTIFY(7) manpage it can happen, that an existing
watch can change. In that case, it could indeed return notifications for
another file. So we shall check the file name once it is returned.

OTOH, do we want to allow a redefinition of a running watch?

>> >  . At least on Windows, turning on auto-revert-mode and then modifying
>> >    and saving the file announces that it was auto-reverted.  This
>> >    didn't happen with the auto-revert method that doesn't use file
>> >    notifications.  Is this a bug?
>>
>> I have an old Emacs instance, w/o support of inotify in
>> autorevert.el. There I see the same message.
>
> I don't see this in Emacs 24.2.92 on Windows.

I see this message with

GNU Emacs 24.2.91.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.13)
 of 2013-01-04 on detlef

Best regards, Michael.