Re: Unuseful keybindings

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:50:30 +0200

>> When the Gnome system key M-f10 maximizes the frame,
>> Emacs doesn't reflect this change in the frame parameter
>> `fullscreen'.
>
> Sounds like a bug with window manager hints, either in gnome's setting
> them or emacs' understanding them. If you're up for it, you should be
> able to use xprop to see if gnome is setting the hint or not (it's
> entirely possible that it's just finding the biggest window size and
> setting emacs to that, which is not correct).

Actually there are two problems:

1. The above mentioned problem occurs only on non-GTK builds.
   When I tried to use xprop for a maximized frame its output was:
   _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT,
_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ

2. On GTK builds there is another problem: evaluating

   (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullscreen)

   modifies the frame parameter `fullscreen' to `fullboth',
   not to `fullscreen' as requested.  In this case xprop outputs:
   _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN