Re: How to debug Error during redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to debug Error during redisplay
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:30:32 +0200

> From: Leo Liu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:56:59 +0800
>
> 1. Install adaptive-wrap.el from ELPA
> 2. Install sbcl or clisp or any CL supported by slime
> 1. Emacs -q -l t.el (t.el assumes sbcl, which you may want to change)
> 2. M-x slime

Thanks, so it sounds like the culprit might be adaptive-wrap, and not
slime or animate-string.

However, I hope there's a simpler way to debug this.  Please run Emacs
under GDB, put a breakpoint in Fstringp, where it is about to return
Qnil:

  DEFUN ("stringp", Fstringp, Sstringp, 1, 1, 0,
         doc: /* Return t if OBJECT is a string.  */)
    (Lisp_Object object)
  {
    if (STRINGP (object))
      return Qt;
  }

and then run your recipe to reproduce the problem.  (I hope this
breakpoint won't break too many times in unrelated cases; if it does,
we can figure out a way to make the breakpoint smarter.)  When the
breakpoint breaks, the backtrace should tell us which Lisp code caused
it.  Please show both the C and Lisp parts of the backtrace.

Thanks.