Re: package.el can't install a circular depend and it should be able to.

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: package.el can't install a circular depend and it should be able to.
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:27:11 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> That's not what I saw, as you can see from the original message?
>
> The original message doesn't make it clear what you saw (it just says
> "The trouble is package.el can't install this. It fails to install
> Elnode because of the dependancy on web." which doesn't say if
> package.el refuses to do it, or tries to do it and signals an error at
> some point, or does it but the result misbehaves in some way, ...).

Right. I thought I did describe it but I didn't include enough detail,
clearly:

- web-test begins an install of web
- web-test begins an install of elnode
- install of elnode begins an install of web

install fails because web cannot be found, even though it was requested
to be installed by web-test.

> But in any case, my message did not aim to describe the way package.el
> works but the way it could/should work.

Right, it does look like there's a bug.

Since it seems to be affecting only me atm (because only I am doing this
kind of stuff with emacs) I will try and find time to fix it.

Nic Ferrier