Re: package.el can't install a circular depend and it should be able to.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: package.el can't install a circular depend and it should be able to.
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:47:08 -0700

Tom> It was intended to do a topological sort of the graph and activate
Tom> packages from the bottom up.  If this isn't working then there is a bug.

Stefan> Do we actually need such a topological sort?  I mean the only
Stefan> place where ordering might matter is when loading the autoloads
Stefan> file, AFAICT (for all other steps like download, unpack, compile
Stefan> the order in which packages are processed doesn't matter).

I thought byte-compiling one package could require that package's
dependencies, say via eval-when-compile.

For downloading and unpacking, I agree, order doesn't matter.

Tom