Re: Should ending successful Isearch with C-g restore the relative windo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should ending successful Isearch with C-g restore the relative window position?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:25:46 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:59:02 -0800
>
> > Does scroll-preserve-screen-position change anything in this
> > situation?
>
> Not for me.  Does it help for you?

Didn't try.  But I suspected that much.

> That has little to do with "scrolling" per se, AFAICT.  Yes, the text gets
> "scrolled", in a sense, when Isearch moves to a match that is outside the text
> shown in the window.  But that is not what I think of as scrolling.

Alas, too many people expect Emacs to behave similarly to what it does
during scrolling, even if point moves for reasons entirely unrelated
to scroll commands.  So most, if not all, of the scroll-* variables
are in effect even if there's no scrolling anywhere in sight.