Re: Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 02:48:23 +0530

Wolfgang Jenkner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 16 2013, Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> You guessed it right.  EmacsFromBzr is failing to pick up those
>> libraries.  I am seeing following lines in src/config.h.
>>
>>     ,---- src/config.h
>>     | /* Define to 1 if using libotf. */
>>     | /* #undef HAVE_LIBOTF */
>>     | /* Define to 1 if using libm17n-flt. */
>>     | /* #undef HAVE_M17N_FLT */
>
>> I do have the required m17n and otf libraries - both runtime and dev
>> variations.  Am I missing any other libraries?
>
> Do you have the freetype2 headers (probably in
> /usr/include/freetype2/freetype)?

Thanks for the hint which guided me to dig inside configure.ac.

I have installed two additional packages - libfreetype6-dev and
libxft-dev.  The Tamil characters are now displayed correctly and shows
up in the right font.

ps-1:
----

I am wondering whether `* Complex Text Layout support libraries' section
of INSTALL file should mention availability of both xft and freetype
headers.

ps-2:
-----

I remember doing a
        apt-get build-dep emacs

to automatically pull the needed dependencies.  I now see that

        apt-rdepends emacs | grep xft

doesn't show up libxft-dev.  (Likewise for libfreetype6-dev)  This
partly explains why CTL support was turned off in EmacsFromBzr.

Anyways, my problem is solved and the solution is recorded here for
others to run with.