Re: feature request: view part of file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature request: view part of file
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:51:31 +0200

> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 02:18:56 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Sure, but Vitalie's not asking for large buffer positions,
> just for large file offsets.  Emac's a bit squirrelly in this
> area, as it represents large file offsets by using floating
> point numbers, but if it's going to be squirrelly it should
> be *consistently* squirrelly, so I installed the attached patch
> into the trunk as bzr 111554.

That patch calls lseek inside write-region on non-regular files as
well, where previously we didn't.  Why is that a good idea?  (It's an
unrelated change anyway.)  This log entry

  1998-06-29  Andrew Innes  <address@hidden>

          * fileio.c (Ffile_regular_p) [WINDOWSNT]: Bind
          `w32-get-true-file-attributes' to t while calling stat.
          (Finsert_file_contents) [WINDOWSNT]: Likewise.
          (Fwrite_region): Don't try seeking to end of FILENAME for
          appending if not a regular file.

seems to indicate that this condition was there for a reason.