RE: please review bug #13141

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: please review bug #13141
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:21:34 -0800

>     I've had at least half a dozen cases
>     where users deleted automatically added information which I then
>     requested -- to no avail, since the reporters never responded.
>
> To go out of their way to delete it makes me wonder why.  Maybe it was
> a valid reason.  Could it be that there was something private in that
> information which they specifically did not want to send?
>
> Because of this consideration it would not be right to hide
> that information.  We should not try to trick our users into sending
> us something they did not want to send.

That is one valid reason a user might not want to send some information.

And a valid reason for Emacs not to hide it.  And a good reason to give users an
easy way to (a) not include it by default but also perhaps (b) be able to add
any piece of it by hitting a key.

Some have pointed out that the default set of info to include is one thing,
whether hard-coded or user customizable, but it is also the case that one often
wants to tailor the info sent to the particular bug.

A user who reports many bugs for which most of the default info is not pertinent
(just noise) can customize the option to get a different default set, as an
alternative to deleting the noise manually each time.

But it would be good to also let that user add this or that info quickly, when
relevant.  That is where (b) can come in (suggested by Dmitry).  The patch I
sent does not provide (b).  But it should be simple to do that.