Re: Typing raw bytes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Typing raw bytes
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:38:00 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:38:20 -0500
>
> >> Subsequent messages explain it seems to be due to the C-q NNN char being
> >> passed through keyboard-coding-system: that seems to be a bug.
> > How is that a bug?
>
> AFAIK C-q NNN should insert the char whose internal character code is
> NNN (in Emacs's own encoding, not in the keyboard's), so the
> keyboard-coding-system should not have any influence.

It doesn't, indeed.  I was wrong.  The problem was the insertion of
8-bit codes into a multibyte buffer, which silently converts them to
multibyte characters as appropriate to the current locale.

> > Keyboard input decoding is not the issue here; how
> > the result is inserted into a buffer is, IMO.
>
> In a unibyte buffer, a character code NNN (where NNN is less than 256)
> should be inserted as that byte without any loss.

I was wrong about the buffer being unibyte: raw-text doesn't do that.
(I think it used to do so in some old version of Emacs, and the memory
sticked.)