Re: CEDET version

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: CEDET version
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:06:28 -0500

On 01/21/2013 09:00 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
David Engster wrote:

Actually, it's more like a 1.2 since 1.1 was already released some time
ago, and the now bundled files are newer.

It is a bit difficult since we bundle a subset of CEDET with Emacs, so
upstream versions cannot be really identical. Since we're now merging
more regularly, maybe we don't need upstream releases anymore and should
see it more as in incubator.

In any case, I think calling this version "1.1.5" or "1.2" should be
fine, but I'd like to know what Eric thinks.

I'm ok with either of those version numbers. If official released CEDETs are now whatever shows up in Emacs core, that would be fine with me also. Wrapping up a release, and figuring out how to get it to safely overlay in Emacs is a bit challenging.

We can call it whatever version number you like. I think the only real
issue is when using ELPA to install a newer version of CEDET than the
version supplied with Emacs (but maybe this won't be happening?).

There are various things that this affects; see M-x list-packages
output. semantic, srecode, inversion, pulse, ede, etc. They all have
different version numbers at present.

These used to all go out separately and were later merged into once CEDET package. Is there a reason to version-merge them? To be honest, updating all those version numbers each time we prep a release is a bit of a pain, and they all install together. The cross-version-checking isn't as useful a tool as it once was.

I do have some scripts I use to manage version numbers though. It could be that whenever a merge occurs, we add running this script to the merge recipe and that will help.

Eric