Re: ELPA and core services

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: ELPA and core services
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:13:06 +0100

Tom Tromey writes:
> Emacs should use the package.el activation code for cases where a
> package is going to be distributed both in Emacs and separately.
> That was my original intent; just nobody has implemented this on the
> Emacs side.

Sorry for digging up this old thread again, this is what I currently
have in package-directory-list from emacs-24 pretest:

("/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2.92/site-lisp/elpa"
 "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa"
 "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa")

This seems to collect the directories in reverse from load-path and
other such variables (I don't know if the precedence is also in that
order, but from a cursory look not) and it is missing a package
directory for the Emacs installation, maybe it should be :
"/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2.92/lisp/packages".

Any Emacs core package that is also in ELPA would then be moved into
…/packages and would be pre-activated unless the same package was
present somewhere up the package directory list or the user explicitly
deactivated that package.  Is that what you had in mind?

Regards,
Achim.