Re: Marking squares

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Marking squares
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 10:35:19 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 03:47:59 +0100
>
> I'm contemplating implementing a very, very simple image editor in
> Emacs, which would mainly just allow image cropping.  To do that, it
> would be nice if `mouse-drag-region' would allow highlighting a "box"
> instead of the lines between mark and the mouse position.

I'm confused: "lines between mark and the mouse position" seems to
refer to region highlighting, whereas you are talking about
highlighting parts of an image, I think.  An image is a single line
for region marking purposes, so I wonder how these two issues could be
related.  What am I missing?

> So my question is -- does Emacs have an option of highlighting
> rectangles instead of "the region"?  It might be useful when using
> commands like `C-x r k', too, perhaps.

Rectangles of text or rectangles of pixels?  Emacs doesn't normally
work at pixel level, except at the lowest level of its
display-specific back end, like xterm.c and w32term.c, which I doubt
is relevant to what you are looking for.