Re: Multibyte and unibyte file names

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Multibyte and unibyte file names
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:19:29 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:21:52 -0500
>
> >> At least I disagree with your Ffile_name_directory suggestion: if the
> >> file-name is already encoded and it results in bugs, the fix should be
> >> in the caller.
> > So you are saying these primitives should assume decoded file names,
> > and if called with encoded ones, exhibit undefined behavior, for which
> > the fix is in the caller, is that right?
>
> Pretty much, yes.

OK, I just committed to trunk a changeset (revision 111663) to do
this.  dostounix_filename now accepts an argument telling it whether
the file name is multibyte (i.e. decoded), and fileio.c primitives use
that.  Downcasing of file names under w32-downcase-file-names is now
done by calling Fdowncase on Lisp strings.

Let's see how much will this break.