Re: Cleaning up the EIEIO namespace

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Cleaning up the EIEIO namespace
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 23:10:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
> Here is a patch that attempts to clean up part of the EIEIO namespace.
> If you like it, please install it upstream, so it will get merged into
> Emacs later on.  If you prefer, I can install it into Emacs directly and
> you'll merge it later on upstream, of course.

Thank you for the patch. I know it cannot have been fun. :-)

I didn't have time yet to look at your patch in detail. I did apply it
to CEDET trunk and got byte-compile errors because there's
eieio-class-parent as well as eieio--class-parent.

As for the general direction of the cleanup: We did discuss this a bit
in the bug report you opened for it some time ago, and Eric stated that
he'd at least like to keep the CLOS-compatible names without having to
prefix everything with 'eieio-'. Your suggestion was to use the shorter
'cl-' prefix instead, and at least I think that is a good compromise. So
instead of using 'eieio-class-name', for instance, we'd rather use
'cl-class-name'. I don't know enough CLOS to see which other names are
affected by this (but I could easily look it up, of course).

Regarding the merge procedure: I'm a bit hesitant to merge the current
CEDET trunk to Emacs just yet because the Java-support is pretty much in
flux right now, so I'd prefer if you just apply it in Emacs trunk. We
were planning to move EIEIO development to Emacs trunk anyway. I'm
actually hoping that we can remove EIEIO from CEDET upstream some time
later this year.

-David