Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111746: * files.el (basic-save-buffer): Offer

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111746: * files.el (basic-save-buffer): Offer to create a non-existing directory.
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 07:23:05 +0100

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I often use C-x s to save all buffers, I would find it
>> more convenient to be asked for the creation of the dir
>> when finding the file.
>
> I'm not opposed to it on principles, but I think that the default
> behavior should not do it, so as to minimize the risk that find-file
> ends up prompting in a context where the user is absent or doesn't even
> know that a file needs to be opened (internal uses of find-file-noselect).
>
>> Also right now, when finding a file in a non-existing
>> dir, the user is taught how to create the directory...
>> which seems a bit redundant with the fact that he will
>> be asked to create the dir anyway.
>
> It's still meaningful in that it warns the user that maybe the name he
> provided was wrong, or that at the dir has not yet been created.

I see, and I agree -- thanks for the explanations.

PS: For the "small story", a user came on Org's mailing a few days
ago, requesting that Org would auto-create missing directories when
following links to org files.  I told him this was more of an Emacs
issue and by magic, Glenn implemented this for save.  So I thought
I'd go for what the OP wanted too.

--
 Bastien