Re: Eshell and Sudo

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: Eshell and Sudo
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 08:44:17 +1300

> Ian D <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eshell Developers,
>
> Hi Ian,
>
>>         I tried running Emacs without a configuration file, using -q,
>>         and got the same thing.  Does anyone know why it's doing this?
>
> I guess you mean -Q. Anyway, same result here.
>
> Even stranger, if I preload tramp by "emacs -Q -l tramp", I get random
> results:

No one, not even John Wiegley, seems to know why sudo/su works for some
people and not others.  Debugging Eshell sudo/su is on my TODO list.  I
don't even know whether this is an Eshell problem or a TRAMP problem.  I
suspect tramp, since Eshell is only calling TRAMP (which should *not* be
blowing up like it does for some people).

Regards,
Aidan Gauland