Re: Eshell and Sudo

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Eshell and Sudo
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:00:50 +0100

Aidan Gauland <address@hidden> writes:

> "John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:
>> As a note, I do not think tramp should be involved by default in eshell/sudo.
>> This should be an optional module, em-tramp, which one can enable to bring in
>> such behavior.  It makes using sudo on localhost many, many times slower,
>> with
>> no functional benefit.
>
> I fully agree; it's confusing just about every new user.

This was discussed already. In short

* There is still "*sudo", which calls the external command. Like for all
  other built-ins.

* If we remove eshell/sudo, some functionality might be lost, like
  running eshell internal commands as arguments of sudo, and like
  Tramp's password caching.

I understand that it might cause confusion the way it runs now. But I
wanted to recall the reasons I have added eshell/sudo 3 years ago.

> Thanks,
> Aidan Gauland

Best regards, Michael.