Possible defvar bug

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Possible defvar bug
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:40:21 +0100

Hi all,

I have a problem in AUCTeX where I get some void-variable error although
I require the file defining the variable.  After some experimenting,
I've isolated the problem to this minimal example:

    (let ((crm-separator ","))
      (require 'crm))

crm.el defines `crm-separator' with some default value.  However, when
evaluating that snipped, I get:

,----[ C-h v crm-separator ]
| crm-separator is a variable defined in `crm.el'.
| It is void as a variable.
|
| Documentation:
| Separator regexp used for separating strings in `completing-read-multiple'.
| It should be a regexp that does not match the list of completion candidates.
| Modify this value to make `completing-read-multiple' use a separator other
| than `crm-default-separator'.
`----

I understand that defvar doesn't override a variable's value if the
variable is already defined, but is that TRT with dynamic bindings, too?

Bye,
Tassilo