Re: Detecting display/frame capability in an Emacs daemon

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Detecting display/frame capability in an Emacs daemon
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:33:09 -0500

     > I am unfamiliar with the things you are using but I do it with
     > rsync.  It would be a clear thing if that damned "cloud" didn't
     > obscure it.

    Not "obscure", "abstract".

I meant "obscure".  The term "cloud computing" is not a clean
abstraction but a confusion between different and unrelated ways
of using the network.

    But in this particular case it seems to be precisely the right level
    of abstraction.

I disagree.  The abstraction you have in mind is just one of the
several unrelated meanings that people use "cloud computing" for.

I think file synching is the right term for this.  The difference
between that and "sharing resources among his own machines" is so small
that they seem equivalent to me, which means it is not wrong.

However, "cloud computing" means other very different things as well.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation