Re: button-buffer-map should inherit from special-mode-map

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: button-buffer-map should inherit from special-mode-map
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:57:10 -0500

> * Drew Adams <address@hidden> [2013-02-21 11:26:36 -0800]:
>
> Your logic is sound: N => S and B => N, therefore B => S:
>
> 1. Assume: non-self-insert buffer implies s-m-map is appropriate.
>
> 2. Assume: b-b-map implies non-self-insert buffer.
>
> 3. Therefore, any map that inherits from b-b-m should also inherit from
> s-m-map.
>
> The logic is fine.  What I reject are the assertions, #1 and #2.

The vehemence of your objection is stunning.
I am no longer arguing in favor of my proposal, but out of curiosity:

1. can you give an example of a non-self-insert buffer where any of the
special-mode-map bindings are not appropriate?

2. can you give an example of a button-buffer-map usage in a self-insert
buffer?

PS. my practical rationale was that I bound a key in special-mode-map
and was surprised that the binding was not present in *Buffer List*.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://dhimmi.com http://memri.org http://ffii.org