Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 22:50:05 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:34:40 +0100
>
> > I think the best way to fix this would be to introduce several macros,
> > one each for every number of non-empty arguments, and then use each
> > one as needed.  A bit less convenient, perhaps, but much more
> > straightforward.
> >
> > The question is would Michael accept this solution.
>
> I haven't played with texinfo 5 yet, so I cannot say too much. But the
> idea of @trampfn was to have just one unique macro with plays for
> all.

That part is clear from the macro definition and its use.

> Before changing this, I would like to check with texinfo 5 whether
> it is still possible.

What do you mean by "possible"?  That macro is the only reason of the
error messages tramp.texi triggers from Texinfo 5.0.  The new makeinfo
clearly does NOT support @set/@clear in the middle of text, and it
also doesn't support the @c trick of removing the newline from the
expansion of a macro.

While it is possible that Texinfo 5.0.1 or some such will be augmented
to support these tricks, it is IMO better to avoid them in the first
place: that way, the manual will build correctly with any Texinfo
version.  But it's your decision, eventually.

> If I understand Glenn correctly, we have no rush for the emacs-24
> branch (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Texinfo 5.0 is out, so if we release Emacs 24.3 with tramp.texi as it
is now, people who have Texinfo 5.0 installed will be unable to
rebuild the manual if they need to change it for some reason.  Not a
catastrophe, obviously, but IMO not nice, either: this is, after all,
Free Software.