Re: Better indentation for elisp

From: Sergey Mozgovoy
Subject: Re: Better indentation for elisp
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:29:52 -0800 (PST)

Didier Verna-3 wrote
> Given that you think (and I agree) that the current Slime indentation
> contrib is superior to the current one for Emacs Lisp, I don't quite
> understand why you would want to write some new machinery.

Well, there are basically 2 reasons:

    * Emacs Lisp indentation mustn't in any way depend on SLIME.
      Emacs Lisp is a vital language and mode for Emacs, whereas SLIME
      is just an ordinary extension package like, for instance,
      Python or JavaScript mode.

      So doing something like *(require 'slime)* from "lisp-mode.el" is
      definitely wrong.  Thus, we can either steal some ideas from
      SLIME (and probably code, as well), or revert this dependency:
      implement the whole customizable, pluggable and generally quite
      complex algorithm in "lisp-mode.el" and adjust SLIME and other
      lisp modes into this model.

      I just chose the first path, for my personal use (at the time
      being).

    * I don't like the fact that they specify absolute indentation in
      spaces, in SLIME. :) I'd agree that this is my subjective
      attitude and may not be a general problem for most other people,
      though.

On the whole, the main reason why I started this post is that I'd
want to see Emacs Lisp have really better indentation support.  This
wouldn't require too much effort to implement, yet this would make it
much more convenient to use *macrolet*, *flet*, and other high-level
macros in Elisp.