Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:50:38 +0800

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:33:29 +0900
Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> > So basically, all we need to do is to be able to easily recognize "Elisp
> > source in utf-8 encoding".  One way to do that would be to use
> > a BOM-like marker, e.g. start utf-8 Elisp files with "\ufeff" either at
> > the very beginning of the file or right after a semi-colon (for better
> > backward compatibility).
> We can have "coding: utf-8;" tag at the first line.  Isn't it
> enough?

Yes, we can.  But most Elisp source files have already been in utf-8 encoding.

In (info "(elisp) Coding Conventions"):

     If your program contains non-ASCII characters in string or
     character constants, you should make sure Emacs always decodes
     these characters the same way, regardless of the user's settings.
     The easiest way to do this is to use the coding system
     `utf-8-emacs' (*note Coding System Basics::), and specify that
     coding in the `-*-' line or the local variables list.

Maybe this can be changed now (or in the near future), because of the "99%
utf-8 future".

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao