Re: Locking files for CLASH_DETECTION now supported on MS-Windows

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Locking files for CLASH_DETECTION now supported on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:49:46 -0800

On 02/25/13 12:35, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> the worst case one of
> the machines will disable the file-lock-checks, which is no worse than
> what we had before (where the Windows machine had the file-lock-checks
> disabled

It depends on one's point of view.  Before, locking worked on
GNU/Linux hosts.  With the change, locking is no longer reliable on
GNU/Linux hosts if an MS-Windows session is active or has crashed.
So GNU/Linux users are worse off than before.  MS-Windows users
are better off of course, but we should strive for a solution
that doesn't also make GNU/Linux users worse off.

> A much more likely scenario is to see users complain/worry on
> gnu.emacs.help about weird files appearing on their systems

Yes, perhaps there should be a way to turn off the use of
regular files for locking on MS-Windows hosts.