Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:56:22 -0500

    A very rough estimate through 'benchmark-run' indicates that
    `find-file-literally' is indeed about 10x faster than
    `find-file'.

find-file-literally avoids DOING the code conversion.  However, even
if we use utf-8 as the default, or unconditionally, conversion would
still need to be done.

All we could potentially avoid with the proposal for utf-8 as default
is the step of choosing the coding system heuristically.  This would
not make it as fast as find-file-literally.  It would make it as fast
as if you had a coding: tag on the first line.  How much speedup is
that?

If we could manage to speed up the entire code conversion stage,
that would be a much bigger improvement, helping every user.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation