Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:19:59 -0500

    > All we could potentially avoid with the proposal for utf-8 as default
    > is the step of choosing the coding system heuristically.  This would
    > not make it as fast as find-file-literally.  It would make it as fast
    > as if you had a coding: tag on the first line.  How much speedup is
    > that?

    I wouldn't know how to test this without implementing it.

It is simple to test it.  Put `-*-coding: utf-8;-*-' on the first line
of the file, then visit it using find-file.  How fast is that?
How does it compare, in time, with the two cases you tested?

    All I was saying is that Stefan's proposal looks
    like micro-optimization to me, since detecting the coding system of the
    init file is only a very small part of Emacs' startup time.

My guess is the same as yours.  The method I suggest above will make
it possible to answer the matter factually.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation