Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:22:09 -0500

> I actually tried that, but it took *longer* with the "coding: utf-8;"
> comment, which is why I thought that this is apparently not working and
> some additional changes are needed first.

In any case, this is not relevant to the question at hand, which aims to
completely side-step find-file when `load'ing a (utf-8) .el file.

As for the .el8 proposal: seriously, the problem I'd like to address is
(as others have said several times already) a very minor one, so the
solution has to be *really* lightweight to be worth the trouble.
Switching to .el8 would bring a whole lot of trouble for *very*
little benefit.

E.g. writing the C code that checks for the presence of a `coding' tag
is already more trouble than I'm willing to go through to fix
this issue.

OTOH, the "new utf-8 marker" I'd like to come up with should ideally
also work as a "lexical-binding" marker.  IOW it would serve as a kind of
"new Elisp" marker.  So maybe a unicode BOM marker would be too discrete
and we could go for something more clearly visible instead.

        Stefan