Re: About `purify-flag'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: About `purify-flag'
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:11:08 -0500

> In (info "(elisp) Pure Storage"):
>  -- Variable: purify-flag
> [...]
>      This flag is `t' while loading all of the basic functions for
>      building Emacs initially (allowing those functions to be shareable
>      and non-collectible).

> What does "shareable and non-collectible" mean here?

Basically, the idea is that the "pure space" will never be written to,
so the OS can use the same VM memory pages for the pure space of several
Emacs processes.  I.e. the "pure space" can be shared among
Emacs processes.

Non-collectible means that they will never be garbage collected (the GC
never even looks at them).

        Stefan