visual-line-mode as a replacement for longlines-mode

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: visual-line-mode as a replacement for longlines-mode
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:27:48 +0100

Hallöchen!

I used Emacs org-mode in combination with longlines-mode.  Now that
longlines-mode is gone, I use visual-line-mode.  However, I consider
this a mild regression for two usecases.

(1)
Limiting line width.  In longlines-mode, one could limit the line
width for legibility and/or aesthetics.  This doesn't seem to be
possible anymore.  In
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-05/msg00824.html>,
Stefan Monnier says (I paraphrase) that he sees no need to add a
set-wrap-width variable for visual line mode.  I increase margin
width by using James Wright's solution on
<http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/VisualLineMode>.  However, I regard
this as a kludge.  It is not easy to find, may collide with other
things, and is visually less appealing to me than longlines-mode.

(2)
longlines-mode rendered org-mode lists better than visual-line-mode:

- this is
  a list

versus

- this is
a list

The only solution is to use org-indent-mode.  But this is intended
for a different use case.  Actually, I think visual-line-mode should
work as well as longlines-mode.  So should I file a bug report?

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: address@hidden