Re: read-from-minibuffer vs completing-read -- Cueing Users:

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: read-from-minibuffer vs completing-read -- Cueing Users:
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 01:34:24 +0530

"T. V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

> As a long-time emacs user, I always see if there are completions
> available in the minibuffer -- so the worst that happens is that
> I get disappointed if I am answering a read-from-minibuffer
> prompt  -- thinking of this, I realized   that there is a good
> chance  that new-comers to Emacs do a lot worse in the other
> direction, i.e. never realize that completions are available.
> Should we be cueing this somehow in the prompt -- (are  we
> already cueing the user visually?)
> vs a completing-read prompt

I have been using icomplete-mode for a while.  Bzr trunk has an enhanced
version.

My only complain is that the icomplete-mode starts showing completions
only after you enter the first character.  If the first character is
wrong, then you get a more useless "No match" or some such thing.

There is a buglet in the queue, only that it is not filed.