Re: emacs-24.x "make install" issues

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: emacs-24.x "make install" issues
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:51:45 -0700 (MST)

>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9789
>>
>> make GZIP_PROG= install

Thanks for the pointer to that!

I do the "make install" step through a private script on all platforms
that installs emacs as "nemacs" (for new emacs), so as not to break
existing things.

It is trivial to add the setting of GZIP_PROG to that script, and I've
already done so on one system to test it (it works as claimed).
However, as Paul suggested, it is worth timing emacs startup with and
without compression of library files.

On the subject of avoiding repeated unnecessary installs of the *.el
files, I notice that the Makefile has

        install: all install-arch-indep install-doc install-arch-dep blessmail

Thus, the desired separation into separate steps is already there, and
another simple adjustment to my installation wrapper can easily skip
the install-arch-indep and install-doc targets.

Thanks, folks, for the quick feedback!

[P.S. I already responded separately to Paul Eggert that a minor tweak
to his proposed patch for the sys/sysdep.c compilation failures on
MirBSD and OpenBSD 4.9 solved the build problems for those two
systems.]

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -