Re: org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:07:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> I meant XEmacs.  I'll ask Stephen to describe that and suggest any
> conclusions from that experience, including those which contradict my
> personal conclusions.

Thank you.

> I don't understand what that means.  There's no "core" packages today,
> the entire Emacs repository is handled as one monolith piece of
> software.  The fact that some parts of it are copies of upstream
> repositories maintained by others elsewhere is not relevant to the
> issues I have with separating them from Emacs.

If you made some directories subprojects (in Git parlance; bizarr
probably also has something that is almost, but not entirely unlike it),
your Emacs checkout would look exactly the same as today.  What would
change is that if you fixed a bug in e.g. Org, you would fix it in the
Emacs branch of the Org repository and then commit the subproject within
Emacs pointing to the new head that contains the fix.

Now, properly making these replaceable with newer (or maybe even older)
ELPA packages obviously requires some extra steps away from the status
quo, but again these have nothing to do with "which repo does that
directory come from".

> Your optimism in this matter is enviable, but my gray hair doesn't let
> me share it.

It has been a while that someone called me an optimist, so thank you.
Also, I have enough gray hair of my own, so you don't need to share it.
:-)

> I don't believe in any net gain here.  I don't know why is that so,
> perhaps because complexity tends to disrupt any hope of reaching an
> "agreement on how to do this" and having "an easily followed set of
> rules that describes the procedures".  Heck, we couldn't even agree on
> the VCS to use, remember?

I'll concede you this point.  No, I don't expect any new arrangement to
be friction-less, but maybe a less so than the current one.

Regards,
Achim.