Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: handa
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 00:19:23 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>       I think the
>     better place of tuning is in the function decode_coding.

> Please go ahead and do it.

I've just installed a code of optimizing ASCII file
decoding.  I added that code in decode_coding_gap instead of
decode_coding because that was easier and what should be
tuned in mainly the file insertion.  Currently the
optimization work only when you explicitely specify such
ASCII compatible coding systems as utf-8-unix and
iso-8859-1-unix for ASCII only files.

When you compile Emacs as this:
  % make CFLAGS=-DCODING_DISABLE_ASCII_OPTIMIZATION
the optimization is disabled so that the effect of the
optimization can be checked.

The next tuning I am working on is for the case you don't
specify *-unix explicitly, and also for the case of utf-8
files (which need no decoding but need character counting).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden