Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 00:42:54 +0530

Richard

> Please note that the FSF does not, as a general rule, agree
> to retraction of a copyright assignment.

The question of retraction doesn't arise.  One retracts what is assigned
and I haven't assigned anything.

There is a difference between the code that is merged (already) and the
code that is proposed to be merged.  The differnce is important and
substantial.

Someone in this thread pointed out that Copyright assignment is not an
ongoing process but a historical event that happens in time.

FSF has my support and sympathies.

I have looked at the paper I have signed.  The only statement that
remotely touches the case under discussion is the item (2).  I am not
used to legalese and I might have overlooked something.  If you point to
me the specific clause which says FSF owns copyright for un-merged and
possibly un-written works then I am willing to go over that section and
satisfy myself of the (unwitting) error I might have committed.

Even if I feel bitter by how FSF is handling my request, other
contributors will be warned that their contributions will be
appropriated away against their wishes, if they were sign a copyright.

If the FSF forcibly takes away the copyright against my wishes it
amounts to stealing or snatching away by force.  AFAICS, the spirit of
the FSF assignment is this: I assign copyright unless I state otherwise.
Now, I am explicitly stating that I don't want to assign copyright for
some part of my work.

Hoping to hear from you.

Hoping for a fair treatment,
Jambunathan K.