Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Subhan Tindall
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:52:22 -0700

Ah, I may see your error here Jambunathan.  Copyright becomes attached
to a work the moment in time it is created (at least in the US), and
publication has no bearing on it's existence or assignment.
The assignment of rights for "changes and enhancements to the program
" <insert progname here> covers the rights to created material from
*the moment the code is written*, not when the code is incorporated or
published in any way.  This assignment cannot be retroactively
rescinded.  There *may* be questions regarding the quantity of work
that is covered, for example if I write a for loop for my employer,
they can't really prevent me from using a for loop in the future(see
below).

A similar situation is a work made for hire. For example, I work on
many programs for my employer.  As part of my contract, all copyright
for that work is ceded to my employer.  Should I later quit my job, I
cannot rescind those rights for any work that I have created for them,
regardless of it's incorporation into any existing work, published or
unpublished.  I can however terminate the ceding of copyright on
*future* code simply by quitting my job (leaving aside issues of trade
secrets and non-compete agreements for now)

If you don't believe me, I would suggest consultation with an attorney
skilled in IP law, preferably with experience in software contracts
and works for hire, before continuing your tirade and threats against
the community.
If your interpretation should prove to be correct, I will gladly issue
a public apology in this forum.

Note: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

--
Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT