Re: A unified project root interface

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:02:14 -0400

On 03/12/2013 07:42 PM, Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:28:28 -0400
"Eric M. Ludlam"<address@hidden>  wrote:

I know some people think of EDE as being this big thing for creating
your Makefiles, but its most common use really is to just tag the
root of a project, and hang some configuration features for semantic
auto completion.  Adding new detectable projects to EDE would be a
win all around.

Also extracting the project part so you can use it without depending on
all of EDE. Right now, that seems either not doable or badly
documented, as none of the project-based extensions I have seen actually
uses that functionality.

Regards,
        -- Jorgen

It's not clear to me what you mean. When a project is detected, it instantiates an instance of that project for that directory. It doesn't load any other projects but the one it detected. Thus, if it finds and Emacs project, it loads that project type which is pretty small. It doesn't load the big Makefile generating project.

If you mean that "all of EDE" represents the core EDE project classes, then no, you can't use the project detection piece without that. The project detection code first needs to look up a project. If a project is already open, it will instead find it in the list of currently open projects without using the file system based search.

Eric