Re: odd gnus imap problem

From: joakim
Subject: Re: odd gnus imap problem
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:27:59 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:56:26 +0100 address@hidden wrote:
>
> j> This is probably a local problem, so I'm now just asking to see if anyone
> j> else has this issue.
>
> j> A couple of days ago I started having trouble reading an imap group in
> j> gnus.
>
> j> - I get a message "bad MAC ...". Then I cant continue reading the
> j> - group. I think TLS is involved.
> j> - all my imap resides on a loca dovecot instance on the same laptop
> j> emacs runs
> j> - I get the problem with only one group, the emacs devel group.
>
> Can you turn up `gnutls-log-level' to 2 and see if the output is more
> useful to figure out the problem's source?

- I tried this setting for a while and got these suspicious log entries:
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) Received alert:  Bad record MAC

(setq  gnutls-log-level 2)
localhost certificate could not be verified.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found: localhost
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate validation failed: localhost
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) x509 certificate does not match: localhost
Opening connection to localhost...done
Opening nnimap server on naru...done
gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_record.c:726

gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_record.c:1122

gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) Received alert:  Bad record MAC
gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) Deallocating x509 credentials
End of buffer

- then i tried using a emacs with no gnutls for a while, and i dont seem
  to get the problem anymore.

so for some reason gnutls support doesnt work in my case. Since we dont
get other reports about this, I think its a local problem. I use my
xwidget emacs branch(which i dont think touches gnutls support any) on
Fedora 18.

--
Joakim Verona