Re: build emacs outside of the source directory

From: Jérémie Courrèges-Ang las
Subject: Re: build emacs outside of the source directory
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:50:37 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Darren Hoo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The built object files for emacs/{src,lib,lib-src} all go to
>> build/{src,lib,lib-src}, but the *.elc files are not, they still lie in
>> the emacs/lisp diretory.
>
> That is correct, because these files are distributed, so when building
> from a tarball they are not touched.

Is that true?  I haven't tried to investigate yet, but they are actually
rebuilt here (24.3 tarball).  This makes me suspicious about using
a single source directory for the four emacs flavors we ship in the
OpenBSD ports tree - thinking of two or more emacs processes writing the
same .elc at the same time.

--
Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas - OpenBSD Emacs port maintainer
GPG Key fingerprint: 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494