Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests!

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests!
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:00:03 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > was fine. If people really don't want to depend on the external program,
> > I'll
> > remove it and just use `tar-mode'.
>
> On GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Cygwin, ..., there's very little risk in
> assuming that `tar' is available.
> But IIUC under Windows the picture is completely different.

So it looks like I'll have to go back to `tar-mode'. I should be able
to get some work done on that front over the weekend, and I'll resubmit
a `tar-mode'-based package.el.

> > Is there any way to gunzip the data in a buffer without using an
> > external
> > program? It would be nice to be able to use tar.gz files.
>
> Providing direct access to libz would be nice.

Agreed, especially since it appears to be linked in already. However,
I'd like my new package.el to work out-of-the-box on Emacs 24.3, so I
wouldn't be able to rely on libz support (should it appear in Emacs 24.4
or 25.1).

--
Daniel Hackney