Re: A unified project root interface

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:23:48 -0400

On 03/19/2013 03:18 AM, David Engster wrote:
John Yates writes:
I took the sense of the OP to be that the concept of a project-root
deserved to become part of the core set of emacs concepts unrelated to
optional packages e.g. much as file and directory local variables.
Once the concept gets pulled into the core extension author simply
assume existence of project-root functionality without needing to have
to enable in any particular way.

OK, if this is something which should be available with emacs -Q right
at startup, then EDE is out. It indeed is too big for that.

Hi David,

If you look at ede/base.el at the baseclass ede-project-placeholder, you will see bits from an old implementation of a project cache. It used to save just the root directories between emacs sessions, and the placeholder was used in the project cache to speed up detection. The goal was a "Recent Projects" menu item to load projects from. I never got that far though.

It should be possible to revive that old bit of code and have a mode of EDE that only creates placeholders for detected projects, and only loads the project if the user asks, calls 'ede-compile', or some other explicit action.

In this scenario, I'm sure it would be possible to trim ede/base.el, and ede.el to be minimal, and provide just the root project detection. CLOS would still be involved, but the result would be pretty light-weight.

I'd be happy to help figure that out if it would be useful.

Eric