Re: Emacs 24.3 windows binaries are available

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.3 windows binaries are available
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 03:00:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> <snip discussion of "where to install dlls">
>
> The above is actually common knowledge for Windows users,

No, it's only common knowledge among Windows developers. My mother is a
typical Windows user; she has _no_ idea what a dll is, nor what to do
with it.

But we are discussing users of Emacs on Windows, which is a tiny subset
of Windows users. I don't know what a typical Emacs user (Windows or
otherwise) knows about shared libraries in general, but there's no harm
in assuming they know nothing.

In installation instructions, it is certainly appropriate to state
something like:

    unzip the archive, place the resulting .../bin in PATH

--
-- Stephe