Re: A unified project root interface

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:02:10 +0400

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:10:20 -0400
> "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If this project concept is created as a simple thing, that's fine,
>> but EDE won't be able to use it, though it could contribute.   If
>> that's the overall story where simple uses need the simple project,
>> and EDE is used when you need more, that seems like a fine
>> compromise, but it won't simplify the plethora of project projects.
>
> Let's say we create two primary API functions
>
> - (project-root)
> - (project-set-root DIR)

I think it would work better if insted of the second function, we'll
have a variable `project-root-functions', along the lines of
`completion-at-point-functions'.

It will contain some simple function by default (that will look for
.dir-locals.el, for example), and EDE, when loaded, can push its own
function on top.