Re: GNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:44:34 -0400

>>> I'd also like to know the current state of affairs.
>> It's described in elpa/packages/README.
>>> company-pkg.el was updated ~12 hours ago, yet the new version of the
>>> package still hasn't been built.
>> The cron job is run once per day, so you may have to wait up to 24h.
>> Also, the cron job may fail if the copyright lines aren't right.
> Thank you.  The rebuild interval doesn't seem to be mentioned in README,
> though.

It says "nightly", which I thought was clear enough (tho it doesn't say
which timezone is used, so it ends up meaning little more than once per day).

> Could you also advise on my current problem with company/.dir-locals.el?

I don't understand what is the problem with it:

> I added it to the repository, because Emacs committers sometimes install
> changes into elpa branch directly.

Seems OK, yes.  Actually, we could/should even place one in
elpa/.dir-locals.el.

> And yesterday I added there a setting for
> `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column', to honor the existing formatting
> in docstrings, and it's not safe-local by default.

Hmm... feel free to mark it as safe-local, but of course that won't help
users of Emacs<=24.3.

> Should I remove the file, the variable from it, or can we add an
> exception to not add .dir-locals.el to packages?

It doesn't seem to warrant such measures.
After all, the user can just say "accept and consider this value as safe
from now on".

        Stefan