Re: [RFC] refactoring DEFUN

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [RFC] refactoring DEFUN
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:54:05 +0000

Hello Dmitry.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:56:29PM +0400, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
> Although C preprocessor can't transform the text too much, it's
> still possible to use concatenation to avoid silly typing like:

> DEFUN ("foo", Ffoo, Sfoo, ...)

> and use:

> DEFUN ("foo", foo, ...)

> instead. The core change is simple, but the obvious rest is ~450K
> uncompressed (99.9% was generated by elisp program, BTW).

I'm against this change.  We don't seem to need it.  I think it will
cause more work than it will save, given how seldomly we write new
DEFUNs.

I think it is best to keep Ffoo (at least) explicit.  It would be strange
indeed if grep finds uses of a DEFUN, but not the DEFUN itself.  This
would be suboptimal.

This explicit Ffoo is used by (amongst others?) c-defun-name, a component
of `add-change-log-entry-other-window', C-x 4 a, which is used
frequently.

After this change, c-defun-name would need to be significantly
complicated in order to parse both the traditional and new versions of
DEFUN.

I am against this change.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).