Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:24:53 -0400

>> Meanwhile, why is it necessary to bootstrap every time?
>> mingw32-make bootstrap
>> [... blah, blah, crash ]

> Crash or just an error?

>> mingw32-make
>> [...]
>> Essential Lisp files seem to be missing.  You should either
>> do `make bootstrap' or create `lisp/abbrev.elc' somehow.
> The alternative is to bring the *.elc files from an already
> bootstrapped tree.

Just for the record: this problem does not exist in the GNU/Linux build
procedure.  More specifically, in the Unix makefiles, "make bootstrap"
kind of like "make clean; make".  So presumably, by suitably changing
the Windows makefiles to mimick what the Unix makefiles do, we should be
able to get the same behavior.

Of course, making it possible to build the Windows version via
./configure would also solve it.

        Stefan