Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:34:13 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:24:53 -0400
>
> Just for the record: this problem does not exist in the GNU/Linux build
> procedure.  More specifically, in the Unix makefiles, "make bootstrap"
> kind of like "make clean; make".  So presumably, by suitably changing
> the Windows makefiles to mimick what the Unix makefiles do, we should be
> able to get the same behavior.

Can't be done without a lot of non-trivial hacking, if at all
possible.  The Unix makefiles use Borne shell features to get this
done, and I don't want to require Windows users to have a native
Windows port of a Unixy shell installed (because there are no good
ones).

That said, feel free to donate patches to make this happen.

> Of course, making it possible to build the Windows version via
> ./configure would also solve it.

In the works, but I could use some help.  The main problem, which I'm
still unsure what is the best way of solving, is how to tell configure
not to test for certain features and instead accept that the test
should succeed (because those features are implemented in Emacs
sources).