Re: EOL: unix/dos/mac

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: EOL: unix/dos/mac
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:16:00 -0400

>> But when saving the file, which line ends would we use?
>> For pre-existing line-ends, we could reproduce what was there before,
>> but what about new lines?
> User preference and some heuristics, I guess, as always.  E.g., if all
> the lines used the same NLF, use that for new lines; otherwise look at
> some user option for guidance.

So for files that use a consistent style, that means same behavior as
what we now have.  The only difference is for mixed-style files, and
AFAIK the only mixed-style files that occur often enough to care are of
the LF-vs-CRLF kind, where I think the most important thing is to make
ti clear that the extra CRs displayed are due to the presence of this
mixed-style (so maybe we should check which style is more prominent and
either highlight the few extra CRs or on the contrary hide the CRs and
highlight the few missing CRs).

        Stefan