Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:38:36 +0800

On 2013-03-27 12:15 +0800, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> I see these Git versus Bazaar arguments pop up every now and then on
> this forum.  I must admit my experience with Git has been better than
> that with Bazaar, but I have to ask, why isn't Mercurial being
> considered?  From a license perspective, Mercurial is GPLv2+, while Git
> is GPLv2.  I found Mercurial's command-line UI much easier to learn and
> understand than Git, and I believe the two are fairly comparable in
> power.

The longevity of the project is very important. git being used for the
kernel guarantees its healthy growth for decades to come by then a
native version system will be built in emacs.

Let's not muddy the water with another tool that is seemingly adequate.
BZR was seemingly adequate and was regarded could do the job well. Now
years later we are back to square one.

I wish we could move directly to a tool that can serve us for a long
time and have it stayed out of the way of hacking on emacs.

Leo