Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 05:56:36 -0400

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:09:34 +0100 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> On Tue, Mar 26 2013, John Wiegley wrote:
>> We have often debated the merits of Git vs. Bazaar, and which one the GNU
>> project should use for Emacs development.  I think now is an appropriate time
>> to revisit this decision.

JD> I strongly support this initiative.

I support it, likewise.  We've had technical developments since Bazaar
was chosen:

- magit.el has matured; VCS mode has improved Git support

- Git credential helpers let the user get and store authentication
  tokens to external facilities like the Mac OS X or W32 keychain (I
  wrote one to talk to a netrc file with or without GPG encryption,
  allowing Git and Emacs' auth-source.el to share the same netrc file)

- I am not aware of any projects choosing Bazaar for any reason,
  technical or not, since RMS' decision.

- the Gnus project has a person dedicated to Bazaar-Git bidirectional
  synchronization; it is a very demanding task for the rest of us.

Ted